Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I just learned a fun fact that connects two very distinct fields. A Kobold is a fairly weak, generally stupid civilized creature in the Dungeons and Dragons world. Apparently "Kobold" means "Goblin" in German, and the element Cobalt got its name since miners referred to it as "goblin ore." Who would have thought that there was a relation?

Another bit of intriguing wordplay that came up of late is the hilarious distinction between a flagrantly technical foul and a technically flagrant foul.

I just started reading The Hero of Ages, third and final installment of the Mistborn series. My least favorite thing about this trilogy is that a character I hate continues to gain power and be portrayed in an overly positive light; it is my most sincere hope that he dies a horrible death in the next few hundred pages. There's almost no chance of this happening though. Anyway, I'll write more after I've finished this book. I expect to have all 7 Nausicaa books under my control by the end of the week as well.

Camping plans have yet to progress, except that the pilgrimage has gained followers. I'll try to call the Park and the school's equivalent of the Outing Club later this week to arrange arrangements or plan plans. 

I'm watching my friends play Donkey Kong Country Returns right now, and frankly, its a bloodbath. They've had to continue no fewer than thirty seven times in the first 12 levels. Their riddled ruins lie mangled and strewn across the level known appropriately as Tidal Terror. 

Today I honor another classic movie villain, the unforgettable Wicked Witch of the West!
The most vile creature in all the lands, the Wicked Witch of the West is the main antagonist of the most famous rendition of the Wizard of Oz. After Dorothy lands a house on the Witch's sister, the green hag swears revenge with one of the most famous lines in all of film. The Wicked Witch attempts to foil the protagonist and regain the lost Ruby Slippers with magical spells and even unleashes the most powerful force in the universe on Dorothy and her cohorts: flying monkeys! But honestly, its not like her aggression towards the company is unfounded given the Kansas girl's involvement in the death of the Witch's sister. Unfortunately for justice and for the Witch especially, her weakness is water, and a mere splash is enough to dissolve her into a powerless puddle of vile goop. 

3 comments:

  1. What are your opinions on "Wicked"? (Either the musical or the book.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been encountered that particular story in either medium. Am I right in thinking that it commiserates with the Wicked Witch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good in both mediums. It posits that the Wicked Witch was just misunderstood. However, it makes Glinda (the short blonde who wears pink) seem like the bad one, which is completely unfair.

    To leave two comments on different posts in a row would be really lame, but Beauty and the Beast is awesome. One time Sackman, Andy and I correlated everyone we like to a character in the movie. I was Belle and you were Cogsworth. YAY

    ReplyDelete