Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In Lab today my students were all finding the deflections on cathode rays caused by an external magnetic field that were itself produced by current traveling first through a wire and later through a solenoid. Our lecture series teaches several convoluted ways of determining the directions of each of these quantities through variations on the ever-popular right hand rule. Hence my students spent about an hour curling and contorting their digits in ascendingly ridiculous fashion, only to theorize answers that exactly contradicted their experiments because they forgot that the electrons comprising the cathode rays are negatively charged. One of the better, "Oooooooohhhhh, now I get it" moments so far. I should also mention that I like my students; you see, they never fail to provide me assorted cookies, brownies and other pastries during class. It's possible that I provoked a bribery arms race--the most delicious of competitions.

I spent a lot of time reading again today and managed to play some racquetball last night, and I will now have to pay for these languorous pursuits by finishing up my quantum mechanics homework. Hence, I shall jump to the conclusion of the post and introduce the Kerrigan.
Primary antagonist of the Starcraft universe following the death of the Overmind, Kerrigan was human before being corrupted by the hideous powers of the Zerg Swarm. The newly crowned Queen of Blades turns on those she once loved, fooling several parties into trusting her multiple times, only to backstab them all in the end and kill several of Starcraft's protagonists. It's extremely unclear why anyone ever trusts her. I haven't had time to journey through Starcraft II's campaign yet, but I can be sure that Kerrigan is out there scheming and murdering, all for her own benefit.

5 comments:

  1. do you prefer your students' cookies to mine? i baked for you with no ulterior motive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captain America is jealous. His students rarely bring him anything . . . except grief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Katherine: Ulterior motives can be delicious, but you understand that raisins are a terrible, terrible thing, whereas my students think that they can sometimes be tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. allison hates raisins and loves you. also i think you should fail the students who like raisins. they clearly have poor judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My students have likewise brought me nothing but grief. Also, disappointment.

    ReplyDelete