Tuesday, November 23, 2010

So I stopped by the DMV today to get a California drivers license. You see, the state of California has a huge inferiority complex and constantly worries that you might like another state more than it. I now quote from the University of California Residency Regulations:
You must demonstrate your intention to make California your home by severing your residential ties with your former state of residence and establishing those ties with California.
Could they have chosen more aggressive and pathetic wording? It makes California sound like an insecure, vindictive woman who demands that you burn every object and expunge every memory that was part of your life before she came into it. But anyway, I passed the written test missing only the questions about alcohol (I have no idea which BACs are legal and what their respective penalties may be; I don't drink!). But seriously, every second in a DMV is a living nightmare within which the only escape from the ululating wail of infants (who are really only expressing how everyone feels at a DMV) is the incessant monotony of mechanically announced numbers that never quite seem to be your own. I would conclude by saying what I would like to do to the DMV, but it has already been done in a manner far exceeding any I could hope to match.

If you like Starcraft than you really must watch this video. In other gaming news, Nintendo has legally trademarked the declaration, "It's on like Donkey Kong," in a bold move that threatens those of you who, like me, can hardly avoid uttering that beautiful turn of phrase at the start of each new activity.

I am now done with all homework for the next week, so I will truly be enjoying Thanksgiving this year, especially given the incredible amount of tasty goods that magically arrived at my doorstep this morning. I can safely assume that my parents are the mysterious benefactor.

So we come to today's villain, an entire race of villains, in fact. They are the Vogons from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!
I assure you that the picture is flattering. For the second time today I find myself in a position where what I need to say has already been conveyed to perfection. Here is Douglas Adam's description of the Vogons:
Vogons are one of the most unpleasant races in the galaxy. Not actually evil, but bad-tempered, bureaucratic, officious and callous. They wouldn't even lift a finger to save their own grandmothers from the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal without orders signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters. The best way to get a drink out of a Vogon is to stick your finger down his throat, and the best way to irritate him is to feed his grandmother to the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal. On no account should you allow a Vogon to read poetry at you. 
That last line should be taken with grave seriousness.

1 comment:

  1. I long ago came to the conclusion that only Franz Kafka would feel truly at home at the DMV.

    Blogger Ned gets extra credit for his use of the word "ululate," one of the great descriptive words in the language.

    As for the residency transfer issue, it may say California on your new license, but it will always be Virginia in your heart.

    Happy Thanksgiving, Blogger Ned.

    ReplyDelete