Friday, November 5, 2010

Graduate students will do anything for free pizza, and I am no exception. Today I sat through a distinctly uninteresting discussion about time management just for a few slices of saucy sustenance. Luckily I was in the best possible company; Vlad, the first year graduate student from Russia was to my left, and he is the most sincere person I know. After about thirty minutes he turned to me and in his thick and uncompromising Russian dialect said, "I do not understand this American thing; everyone come in room and talk about feelings. Is useless. Where is pizza?" Well said, Vlad, well said.

I managed to quickly complete an assignment on Fourier series this morning, so that won't be bogging down my weekend, at least. For those who don't know, Fourier analysis is actually a very interesting (and unbelievably useful) tactic wherein on can reconstruct functions as sums of sines and cosines. Looking at the image below, first one, then two, then three and lastly four sine functions (in red) are added together to approximate the step function (in blue). An infinite series of sines will actually perfectly mirror the original function. This step function was one of those I did, by the way.
I also accidently set a variable equal to an integral whose limits of integration were functions of that same variable. This caused mass confusion and lots of transcendental solutions. Mayhaps I shall ask the renowned solver of PDEs, Dr. Philbert Science if he has seen the like before.

I suppose I should also mention the door to my office. You see, my office has two doors (both metallic), one leading into the Physics building, one leading to a nice, outdoor porch sort of area. Either can be used to access the room. There is, unfortunately, a problem. There is direct sunlight on the outdoor exit from approximately 8:30am to around 11:00am this time of year. This sunlight causes the metal of the door to expand and on clear days from about 9:45 to 11:30 in the morning, the door expands to the extent that it cannot be closed. Soon I intend to deal with this imminent security threat. Soon.

Onto more villainous paths! Today I present the world's most evil lawyer: Manfred Von Karma!
A truly sinister prosecutor with a perfect record of convictions, Von Karma is the second of the villains that I have presented to sport a cravat. When it comes to law, he is the best of the best. His objections strike fear into defense attorneys and judges alike, and he will stop at nothing to get a Guilty verdict. His desire for perfection is so great that goes to absurd lengths to coverup the blackmails, forgeries, assaults, and even murders that he commits to get his way. It takes a stroke of genius (and a metal detector!) from the rookie Phoenix Wright to bring his empire crumbling down upon him.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't met Vlad yet, but from his acerbic comment as reported in the Blog, I say bravo!

    ReplyDelete